Shmaxi - Movies Before Bed

 


Texas based artist "Shmaxi" releases "Movies Before Bed"

The 12 track album begins with a short, soft, and ambient introduction, before leading into the first main track, titled "Lost Footage"

Creating a truly unique, cinematic atmosphere, this track works alongside the sectioned echoey vocals to bring a truly tranquil piece of art, with the spacey sound effects and intriguing tones throughout the entirety of the 4 minutes. 

"Home Video"

Following a similar eerie vibe to the previous track, for the majority of it, the track transports you to another world, it brings you on an experience, and takes you on an adventure through Shmaxi's musical mind, it would truly fit perfectly in a movie. Acoustic guitar radiates around the song, adding depth with the influences of traditional and world music playing integral parts in the final product.

"Kids Show"

The track doesn't change dynamically much, until the end, yet it doesn't fail to intrigue at all, with the melodic music and fuzzy, nostalgic production, bringing you on an almost emotional ride whilst listening to the song.

"Cable Access"

One of the most complex tracks so far, "Cable Access" is truly an alien like song, something truly out of this world, and something I'm sure you haven't heard anything like before, it bursts with true creativity, with cresendos and decrescendo adding range and structure to the nearly minute pictorial song.

"Special Features Pt. 1" 

It makes you feel emotional, yet energetic at the same time, it makes you feel curious, and sobered, yet, omniscient, at the same time. I'm not quite sure how it makes you feel, I guess the point that Shmaxi has created this vibe, is to build a connection with the listener, and conjure up feelings and images in their head, open to personal interpretation. I must say, the artist does a good job at this, you'll find yourself lost in a trance, conjured with emotions, in a meditative state. It leads into "Special Features Pt. 2" without you even realising, the transitions between each song is effortlessly seemless.

"Something Reel"

The track begin with a haunting intro, making you feel lost in the woods, with no help to be found, yet the track slowly unfolds with new elements and soft backing effects such as crickets chirping, and reversing sounds, to draw you in, and engage you, with melodic, sometimes creepy, sometimes cheerful, moods, bringing you on a rollercoaster.

"Dream Sequence" 

Imagine you're floating in space, looking out of the window, back at earth, I feel like this is how Shmaxi has tried to make this song. As if you're now an adult, remembering, and reminiscing on the old times when you were younger, watching 'Movies Before Bed'.

"Premium Horror"

It's only 2 minutes long, but it feels like a lot longer, with haunting retro sounds, and suspenseful holds sending shivers down your spine, with it oozes a real floatiness, occasional flashes of keys lifting its vibes even further skyward. It does slightly change up towards the end, but maintains the intricacies that hold it together, something they do so brilliantly throughout this song. 

"In Black and White" 

This track carries the most vocal performance out of the album so far, with the majority of the songs being hallucinative instrumentals. The production is truly first class, each element plays its own integral part in creating the clean, percussion filled soundscape of the 2nd to last track.

The last track is titled "Kindly Rewind"

The spacious, calming vibes of this finale track, truly leave you urging for more music from Shmaxi. The quiet fade towards the end of the song, leaves you emotional after the 45 minute journey, thinking about the past and own personal feelings conjured up by Shmaxi's talents.

Check the album out below, and our exclusive interview with him.


What got you into music?

"There was an old drumset in my house that I was immediately drawn to. And there was always music playing in my house. I loved listening to Motown as a kid. Then when School of Rock came out I was obsessed with the idea of being in a band. I think the kids in the movie were supposed to be in fourth grade and I was in fourth grade when it came out so that was incredibly special to me."

When did you release your first song?

"I released my first songs this year in the form of my first album, Movies Before Bed. It’s 12 tracks that ended up being sort of a letter to my childhood self."

What instruments do you play?

"The instrument I’m best at is the drums, which is kind of ironic because there’s essentially no drums on the music I’ve been making. But that might change as I work on the next projects! I also play the piano and guitar. The next album is very piano focused. I also love experimenting with sound design, textures, and orchestral pieces."

How do you produce and record your music?

"I make everything in my bedroom. I like to write and record in that space just nestled away in my corner of the world. I am an introverted person so I really cherish getting to work in an isolated space. But I do value the collaborative elements of creativity and I’ve started scoring films and multimedia projects which helps me connect with others by playing a part in their vision. I produce everything on Logic Pro and use a mix of modern and vintage gear."

Who are your biggest musical influences?

"My biggest musical influences are Sigur Ros, Jonsi, Michael Brook, Brian Wilson, Alex Somers, Bon Iver, and Tom Delonge. Each one of these artists have created a sound that has cultivated a feeling in me that I try to hold on to."

In what genre would you describe your music as being?

"I would describe it as ambient music. It’s getting more and more ambient as I make new things. I’m really into soundscapes, scores, and neoclassical compositions. There’s not many restrictions I place on myself when I’m writing and producing. My hope is to create something emotive."

Do you write your own songs?

"Yes, I write my own stuff!"


Popular posts from this blog

Morningblind - The Weight of the World

SLIDING DOORS - I believed

C4C - Folk-Hop